Skip to Main Content
Decorative SUU library logo

Research Guides

School Library Media Program: FAQs: Home

Library Media Endorsement: Frequently Asked Questions


Thank you for your interest in our Library Media Endorsement program!


I'd like to become a school librarian in Utah. What do I need to do?
Our program provides all of the coursework necessary to apply for certification through the State of Utah. The LM program consists of 7 courses totaling 18 credits. These courses are one piece of the application for endorsement through the state. The other pieces are a passing PRAXIS exam and an active teaching license. Click here to preview the application from the Utah State Board of Education.

Are your courses online?
Our LM courses are 100% online with the exception of the Practicum course, which can be completed at a school library near you. You will not need to travel to Cedar City for any portion of this program.

I'm currently working full-time, will your program work for me?
Our program is ideal for those working full time as the classes are asynchronous and can be completed at your convenience, within weekly deadlines.

How will I manage to complete the practicum hours while working full-time?
We have structured our program to meet the demands of busy schedules. You may accrue practicum hours in each course throughout the program to spread the workload over several semesters. More information will be shared regarding this process in the School Library Media Foundations course.

How long will it take to complete the program?
The LM endorsement can be completed in one academic year, consisting of fall, spring, and summer semester, or spread out over several years. Your courses must be no older than 5 years when you apply for endorsement through the state.

Do I need to have a teaching license?
The State of Utah requires an active teaching license at the time of application for endorsement. We do not require proof of your teaching license, however, as a prerequisite to our program.

What is required for admission?


  • Completed application
  • Non-refundable application fee
    • $60 for graduate level courses or
    • $50 for undergraduate level courses
  • Official transcripts verifying:
    • ​​​​Graduate applicants - A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
    • Undergraduate applicants - A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale

Transcripts should be submitted electronically directly from the institution using an acceptable electronic service or mailed directly to the address below:

Southern Utah University
Admissions Office
PO Box 8008
Cedar City, UT 84720

  • Written Essay
    • This essay will be used to assess your collegiate writing skills as well as your ability to communicate ideas clearly. Please respond to the questions below in no less than 300 words:
      • What interests you about pursuing a Library Media Endorsement?
      • What draws you to the field of librarianship?
      • What do you hope to accomplish throughout this program?

Where can I find more information about the required courses?
On the School Library Media: Course Descriptions page.

Where do I go to apply?

Where can I find information about financial aid?

How much does tuition cost?

You offer LM courses at the undergraduate and graduate level. How do I decide?
You may choose whether to take our program sequence at the graduate or undergraduate level. The cost and workload are less for undergraduate but we recommend graduate courses for anyone interested in pursuing a Master’s degree in the future.

Do I need to take the courses in a certain order?
You are required to begin your endorsement with the School Library Media Foundations course and end your endorsement with the Practicum course. These two courses are offered every semester to ensure you can start and finish when you need. Our other courses are only offered certain semesters, so you’ll need to plan accordingly. You can see which courses are offered during which semesters here.

I’m from out of state. Can I still complete your endorsement program?
We always recommend that out of state students check with their respective state office of education to ensure our courses will meet the requirements of their specific state.

Questions about admissions criteria and application process? Please contact: or 435-865-8297.