Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to the Physical Education Research Guide!
This guide is to help you get a jumpstart on Physical Education Research by giving an overview of what Physical Education Resources are available in the library, along with some quick tips on how to find and use them.
Sherratt Library provides access to a number of databases on a wide range of subjects. Below is a list of databases with content related to Physical Education:
Academic Search Ultimate (ASU)
General collection of journals, magazines, and newspapers in most academic subjects. Search results can be limited to full text and scholarly (peer reviewed) journals.
Gale Access Program
The Gale Access Program delivers 50 most commonly used databases at the top academic institutions across the globe. The Gale Access Program provides support for key courses as well as key majors: business, health, nursing, technology, humanities, social sciences, sciences and more. It offers easy integration into course syllabi, learning management systems and LibGuides. The program provides affordable supplemental materials for teaching & learning as well as a wide spectrum of content and tools to bridge varying skills levels across the student body.
SPORTDiscus with Full Text
Comprehensive source of full text for sports & sports medicine journals, providing full text for more than 490 journals.
Journals and Periodicals
Although many of the journals we have in Sherratt Library are available in electronic form, there are times when a print copy is the way to go. Below is a list of journals we have in print and electronic formats. See titles for links to each journal. (Note: Print copies of journals are housed on the first floor of Sherratt Library, organized alphabetically by title.)
Books and Ebooks
Here at Sherratt Library, we use the Library of Congress classification system (call numbers) to organize most of our items, including print books and e-books. Below is a general list of call numbers that relate to Physical Education (they can help you find items faster).
- GV201-555 - Physical education and training
- GV346-351.5 - School and college athletics. Intramural and interscholastic athletics
- GV401-433 - Physical education facilities. Sports facilities Including gymnasiums, athletic fields, playgrounds, etc.
- GV435-436.7 - Physical measurements. Physical tests, etc.
- GV450-451.4 - Nudism. Sunbathing
- GV460-555 - Gymnastics. Gymnastic exercises Including calisthenics, heavy exercises, acrobatics, etc.
- GV557-1198.995 - Sports
- GV711 - Coaching
- GV712-725 - Athletic contests. Sports events
- GV733-734.5 - Professionalism in sports. Professional sports (General)
- GV735 - Umpires. Sports officiating
- GV743-749 - Athletic and sporting goods, supplies, etc.
- GV770.3-840 - Water sports: Canoeing, sailing, yachting, scuba diving, etc.
- GV840.7-857 - Winter sports: Ice hockey, skiing, bobsledding, snowmobiling, etc.
- GV861-1017 - Ball games: Baseball, football, golf, etc.
- GV1040-1060.4 - Cycling. Bicycling.
- GV1060.5-1098 - Track and field athletics
- GV1100-1150.9 - Fighting sports: Bullfighting, boxing, fencing, etc.
- GV1151-1190 - Shooting. Archery
- GV1195-1198.995 - Wrestling