In 1913 the Branch Normal School changed names to the Branch Agricultural College. A condition of this change was that the necessary facilities to make the school an agricultural college must be provided by Cedar City. These provisions included supplying livestock and eighty acres of experimental farm land. Over the years many of the livestock animals owned by the university have been donated by Utah ranchers. Subsequently, bulls raised and sold by the university have strengthened the blood line of local herds by upgrading the breeding stock. Since the cattle brand has always represented the initials of the name of the school it has changed as the school has changed. Currently, the brand "SU" is used on the right hip of Hereford, Gelbvieh, black Gelbvieh, and crossbred cattle.
Designed by Renn Zaphiropoulos, the "Diamond Z Ranch" brand has been used since 1987. The ranch raises Quarter horses, English Shire draft horses, and Shire / Thoroughbred crosses known as Warmbloods. The Quarter horses are used for pleasure and the sport of barrel racing. "Gentle Giants," as the English Shire is known, are the largest horses in the world. They are prized for their disposition, size, and agility. The Warmbloods are used in driving, dressage, Three Day Eventing, and are excellent all around pleasure horses. The brands are placed on the left hip by "freeze branding." The Zaphiropolouses are proud to be part of the ranching tradition in Iron County.
This brand is in memory of Randy Lee who felt at one with the earth when he saddled his horse and rode with the wind. Randy and his dad created their brand for the horses, which is the "Backwards R L" brand. The Lee boys always enjoyed working cattle with a good horse and many of the horses they broke and trained are a tribute to this fine young man.
This brand is known as the "Lone Pine Brand." One-half mile north of Graff Point in Iron County stands the lone pine tree. The lone pine tree can be seen from the valley because the tree is located on the sky line on a ledge near the entrance to Graff Coal Mine. This symbol for the brand and is used on both sheep and cattle.
Richard and June Sewing moved to New Castle, Utah in 1975 from southern California and currently operate a small hay farm there. In celebration of their venture into rural life they decided to establish a brand to mark their livestock. Although most of the livestock are now gone, the brand still remains a symbol of the choice they made for a new life in southern Utah. The "JR" brand stands for the combined first initials of their names.
The cattle brand of an upside down "T" used by Warren Williams once belonged to George Perry. The livestock business is usually run by family members, but Perry's were childless so Warren and his brother Tom helped Mr. Perry with fencing and calf branding. When Mr. Perry made the decision to quit the cattle business Warren took over the brand. Warren entered the family sheep business in 1950 with his father Alex. In 1955, to better utilize all of the property the family owned, the branched out into the cattle business for the rougher country was more suited to sheep and the open country better for running cattle. The Williams family runs their cattle in Iron and Washington Counties in Utah, and Lincoln County in Nevada.
Charles Gustave Lundgren came into this country from Sweden in 1888. Shortly after his arrival he moved to Kanab, Utah and began herding sheep. He took his wages half in sheep and half in money, which was the beginning of his her of Ramboullet sheep. Two solid dots were used as a brand because it was easy to find a forked branch or a tin can for the paint brand. Additionally, the brand was easy to identify at a distance. The dots were placed on the back so they could be seen from either side when working the herd. The Lundgren LLC Ranch is currently based in Iron County and owned by second, third, and fourth generation family members. Today the herd contains both Rambouillet and Suffolk sheep.
Thomas Jones used the "TJ" brand in the mid to late 1800s. It was later passed down in the family to Lehi Jones and his sons who ran a cooperative livestock organization. One year the tail of the "J" broke off thus turning the branding iron into a "TI." Since the family only owned one branding iron they kept using that brand and later filed for a change in brands with the Utah Department of Agriculture. For most of the 20th century the family used the "TI" brand for cattle and sheep. The brand was place on different sections of cattle (such as the ribs, left hip, and so on) to designate ownership within the large family. The brand was always placed on the back of sheep, but different colors were used to distinguish different owners. It is still being used today, though the active ranching descendants of Lehi Jones are far fewer, as are the numbers of cattle and sheep using the brand.
Don Dee and Mary Alice Gates have run cattle on the Arizona Strip and in Utah for many years. Their interest in the livestock business began on the Philip Foremaster ranch on the Strip where the family gathered to work hard and enjoy the raw beauty of the land. A love of horses, cattle and the wide open spaces was developed by the Foremaster children and grandchildren. When the time came for Philip Foremaster to sell his ranch, his son-in-law and daughter Don and Mary Alice F. Gates and son and daughter-in-law Howard and Annette Foremaster bought the family ranch. The "J Heart" brand is used by Don Dee and Mary Alice Gates and is placed on the left shoulder of their cattle and horses. The ranch is currently run by second and third generation offspring of Philip Foremsater.
Born January 18,1905 in Hurricane, Utah, Waldon Isom was raised by older siblings after the deaths of both is father and mother. Waldon started helping with the cattle at age six and was essentially out on his own at age twelve. He often joked that he wasn't raised, he was "jerked up!" The family ranch was located at Iron Springs, but they also ran their cattle on mountain property east of Cedar City. Waldon upgraded his cattle each year until he had top quality Herefords. After a series of heart attacks in 1987 he was forced to five up the ranching he loved all his life, but the spirit of this self-made man remained out on the range. Waldon is now deceased and his son, W. Elwin Isom, currently uses the brand on his ranch in Fruitland, Idaho. The "FI" brand stood for the initials of Waldon's father Franklin Isom.
The "TU" brand is proudly used by the Rimpau family who has been in the livestock business for eleven generations. The original brand was quite ornate with curlicues on either side of the "T" (representing Theodor) and the "U" ( the last letter of Rimpau). The brand was later simplified to its current form so it could be recognized at a distance on an animal and not mistaken for someone else's brand. It was approximately the size of a 3-pound coffee can lid and first used in Orange County, California. More recently it was used by Theodore Rimpau in Milford, Utah on the center back of Hampshire sheep.
The Murie family has been involved in the livestock business in this area since the first settlers arrived here. Mel Murie loved the ranching lifestyle and enjoyed spending all of his time with his cattle, whether on the mountian in the summer or in the desert in the winter. Mel's original cattle brand was "7K." In 1956 he purchased a desert ranch and the brand "71 Bar" came with it. It was used on the left hip and was clear and easy to read. Mel passed away in 1982 but the ranch continues to be a family cattle operation.
The "Backwards DL" brand was registered by Richard Leigh's grandfather, Herny Leigh over 100 years ago and was used on both cattle and sheep. Richard's father, Webster Leigh, used this brand during his lifetime. Richard has kept the brand and it is currently being used on over 400 cattle. Richard Leigh expects his children to continue to operate Leigh Livestock Company and to use this brand on the left hip of the cattle.
"JN" was the brand of John Conrad Naegle, pioneer, farmer, rancher, and colonizer. He made his way west at the age of 19 with the Mormon exodus from Nauvoo to Winter Quarters. His first ranching endeavor was near Lehi, Utah where his ranch included the present Saratoga Springs on the shore of Utah Lake. Called by Brigham Young to establish the wind industry in Utah's Dixie, Naegle expanded his ranch operation in Beaver and Kaibab Forest on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. A polygamist with seven wives, Toquerville became his headquarters for 24 years. Pressure from U.S. Marshals caused him to relocated part of his family to St. Johns, Arizona and finally into the Mormon Colonies of Old Mexico where he died in 1899. Thousands of horses and cattle were branded with the "JN" brand in the early day of Utah, Arizona, and Mexico.
The "Lazy JU" brand originally belonged to D. Claude and Martha P. Urie, Cedar City, Utah. The Uries homesteaded some desert property west of Cedar City in approximately 1920 and were excited to see their dream fulfilled when they put cattle on the range. In later years their son Howard took over the operation. When both Claude and Howard died, their son-in-law and daughter Rulan and Lois Urie Woodbury helped Martha run the operation and kept the brand in the Urie family. The brand is still registered to the Woodburys and used on Black Angus and Herefords.