Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Library of Congress Classification System (second floor)
C: History (General) (second floor)
D: History (World) (second floor)
E: History of United States (by period) -- arranged somewhat chronologically (second floor)
- 11-143 America general and pre-settlement history
- 151-185 United States General History
- 186-199 Colonial History
- 200-298 Revolution
- 300-453 Revolution to Civil War - Antebellum Period
- 456-655 Civil War
- 660-738 Late nineteenth century, 1865-1900
- 740-837 Twentieth century
- 838-889 Later Twentieth century
F: Local History of United States and British, French, and Latin America (second floor)
- 1-975 United States Local History (by locale)
- 1101-1170 British and French Local History
- 1201-3799 Latin America and Spanish America
Reference books (first floor)
- Dictionaries, encyclopedias, yearbooks, statistics, and atlases can be found in the Reference collection on the First Floor (short shelves by elevator)
- To find American history reference books using the Library Catalog, select Advanced Search, type the keyword American History then select Reference Book in the type: window, then click Search.
Searching other library catalogs
- WorldCat.org - use for finding books on your topic in other libraries, then request through ILLiad
- Utah's Catalog: search all Utah academic libraries
And of course, you are always welcome ask a librarian at the Questions Desk on the First Floor for help.
SUU Library Catalog
Locate history books in the SUU Library using the SUU Library Catalog. Most history books in the SUU Library can be found in the Main Collection on the second floor in the call numbers from C to F. The red quick search box on the library page work for most searches.
Use advanced search when you need to modify your search by language, type, or library location.
In any EBSCO database, click the Choose Databases link above the search windows, unclick Academic Search Ultimate, then click eBook Collection.
WorldCat: Find Books in Other Libraries
You can discover books (and other materials) not available in the SUU library by using the WorldCat.org database, which lists the holdings of hundreds of library catalogs. Enter relevant terms or names in the box below.
SUU researchers can request most items found in WorldCat via Interlibrary Loan (see below).
Google Books Search
Although Google Books seldom delivers the complete text of a recently-published book, it can be very useful for viewing books' tables of contents and other information.